Friday, August 10, 2012

July 31st Happenings

Some of you may have noticed a slight difference in my appearance towards the end of my trip. Well let me give you the rundown...

Tuesday, July 31st.
Three days before I leave Mampong for Cape Coast. "Mavis I think I'm going to braid my hair today" "okay just come to my shop and I'll take you there" So off we went. During our break Lobke and I headed to the shop. I was doing a lot of convincing so Lobke would get hers done as well and I guess I'm persuasive because she did! So we go to the shop and Mavis helped to tell them what we want, get a good deal, and get us all started. It ended up being more money than I thought and took a lot more time than anticipated. (around three hours, we were late to our afternoon shift, was I happy? No)

So here's how they do it.

Step 1. Get the hair packaged, mix the black color with the carmel color  
Step 2. Put my hair up in a rubber band (ouch!)
Step 3. Cave sections into it
Step 4. Add the hair and braid

Do that until you run out of hair on the actual head, then finish the braids and seal with some product and scalding hot water. Cut until preferred length.

It didn't feel very good. And after, my head was so heavy! I just had no idea what to do with it! I'll admit I was regretting it at first. Mavis loves it! My mom actually really likes it too oddly enough. And Lobke and I got quite a few compliments on our "rasta's" as well.  "Excuse me madam? Madam? Your rasta is very nice! Be good to it." An african lady told me at the airport.










1 comment:

  1. Be good to your rasta! So funny it better still be in when I get home!

    ReplyDelete