Thursday, August 2, 2012

Last Day at the Babies Home

Today was my last day at the Babies Home and in Mampong with my host family. Tomorrow morning I'll be leaving.

This morning seemed like any other day. I was even getting a little frustrated because the hand sanitizer that I had been rationing because it was almost gone and there's no way to wash your hands at the Home was stolen by one of the kids and there was an unusual amount of loud crying in large quantities. I was praying for patience so I could pull myself together and have a happy last day. And it came. After the break everything was fine. Today I fed the older kids and helped them get dressed and ready after their bath (I was happy I got to do those two things once more, we don't help out with those things everyday).


I don't think I've mentioned this but one of the girls who is living and volunteering with me raised some money for the home and we've been working to make a playground for the kids. It's been a bit rough but... 

We were able to complete the playground. They brought it and installed it today. Not in time for us to see the kids play on it, but in time for us to see it all together. It looks so good!

Saying goodbye was hard. I didn't think it would be but the end was creeping in behind us and we mentioned to Agatta (one of my favorite mothers at the home) that we would be leaving. She didn't know. So it was good we said something. But she started crying! And that's when it became real. That's when I realized I probably won't see these kids again. I won't know what their futures hold or if they can beet the odds and become successful. If the can live up to the potential I saw in many of them. We'll just never know. All we can do is hope and pray. But I wish I could see it and help them get there.


As for goodbye's, one down, two to go...

2 comments:

  1. does that naked little boy have a hernia, or some terrible disease? ouch.
    Travel safely little Oka, looks like you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just her little belly button. A lot of them have that. It's normal. Even though it reaaaallly doesn't look normal.

    Thank you though!

    ReplyDelete