Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Final Goodbye

SUNDAY: 

We woke up in our little yucky hotel room and got ready for church. Yes, to my surprise and delight there was another LDS church about a 10 minute walk away. So Lobke and I went. Only for Sacrament meeting though, because we had a big day ahead of us. 

The Cape Coast ward was a lot bigger than the Mampong ward. There were around 100 members as opposed to 50. The missionaries in the ward were from Samoa and what-do-ya-know, St. George, Utah. I didn't talk to him though cause he was running around with his head cut off like a chicken. The bishop there was only 32 and the second counselor who we spoke with, was only 27! So crazy! It was fast and testimony meeting this week so we were only fortunate to understand probably 3 and a half testimonies. I love just being there though. Regardless of if I can understand it. Again the singing was worth every second of being there and not understanding hardly anything. 

After church we went to a few little shops near the beach and then headed on our journey to Accra. It took around 2 maybe 3 hours I believe. This time, we were lucky enough to be on the very front row so we had lots of extra leg room. That was nice. And the bus ticket was really cheep. Yay! 

After arriving in Accra we went straight to the Pink Hostel, the same Hostel we started our trip with, (which after being there again we realized was pure luxury! I wasn't thinking that where we arrived there however..) Lobke was staying there one extra day, her flight being the day after mine. We got all settled in and headed to the Lambadi Beach

It was so. crowded. We could not even move. So many people! That was kind of a bummer. But it was fun to just people watch. I saw the biggest man I've ever seen in my life. His muscles were unreal! If you just brushed against his shoulders in passing your whole body would be broken on impact. It was.. yucky. 

After the beach, we headed back to the hostel and I got all ready to go. I took a shower and everything. (which I hadn't done in like 5 days...) And it was SO NICE!!! Not only was there running water, but warm running water. Best thing ever. But then I had to say goodbye... 


After saying goodbye to Lobke and Charles the receptionist I headed to the temple. I was so so happy to be able to go! Even though it was dark. I looked online to figure out where it was and it was really close by (coincidence? I think not..) When we arrived the gates were locked and there was no sign of the ability to get in. I was a little discouraged but still just thrilled to be there even if I did just have to look at it from behind locked gates. But then the car gate slowly swung open and two men welcomed me in. We chatted a little. I told them where I was from and what I was doing in Ghana, and they let me walk around. As I was walking I turned to thank them but after looking at the temple was only able to speak through choked back tears. It is so beautiful. Especially juxtaposed by the dirtiness, and craziness of life behind those temple gates. I was so happy to be there. 


The taxi driver was nice enough to wait for me. But not nice enough to leave me any money as I arrived at the airport. He cleaned me out. 21 cedi that taxi ride cost me. Then as I was exiting my taxi some guy rushed with a caddy, put my luggage on it, and helped me get to where I was supposed to go. Of course he's expecting money. Of course I don't even want his service anyway. But I made the mistake of telling him I only had ten US dollars. I was forced to give him that 10 US dollar. Cheated! So cheated! That's 20 Ghana Cedi, for walking me from my taxi to the entrance of the airport. I'm still mad. 

I was hungry and tired but my flight came and I got through everything fine. With even some more welcoming compliments on my "rasta" "what color is your hair? Mmmmm that's very nice."

With a sad goodbye to the home country of a month's time, came the journey to get back to the home of a lifetime. But a very long journey it was..  

No comments:

Post a Comment